Copper Wire Bonding
Copper wire has become the preferred material for wire bonding interconnects in many semiconductor and microelectronic applications because of its ability to be used at smaller diameters while providing the same performance as gold without the high material cost. ATEC takes pride in pioneering the development of copper wire bonding in place of gold wire in the Philippines.
Benefits of Using Copper Wire
Copper wire offers a significant cost advantage over gold wire. It is also an excellent replacement for gold wire due to its similar electrical properties. In addition, copper wire is almost the same in self-inductance and self-capacitance as gold wire. It also has a positive impact on circuit performance because of its low resistivity.
Copper Wire Bonding Milestones of ATEC
- Started mass production of two million units of SOIC 8L per week in March 2007
- Recognized and awarded by the customer for shipping the first 100 million units with zero customer complaint
- Qualified Cu wire for SOT23 in 2009
- Maintained zero customer complaint since the start of production of Cu wire bonded units
- Ramped up production of copper wire bonded units to more than 14 million units per week as of November 2010
- Delivered 900 million units of copper wire package by the end of 2011 without any defect and claim